Our Bear Market Statement
- A 20% market fall is known as a bear market;
- We have been here before, many times in fact, and if history is a good guide we will be here again, an average of one year in every six;
- Neither the Longhurst team, nor anyone else, can predict when, where or why a bear market will bottom out;
- But be assured that from a historical perspective it will bottom;
- History teaches us that is has always been a mistake for a long-term, goal-focused investor to sell their portfolio when it seems everyone else is doing the same (herding);
- However, the general rule of thumb is this: if your goals haven’t changed, and your portfolio is historically appropriate to those goals, then don’t change the portfolio in reaction to current events;
- As powerful as the urge is to get out of the markets, and as reasonable as it will seem at the time, it is as close to a promise of below average returns at best, and of the destruction of your whole retirement plan at worst, as one can get;
- If you succumb to the herd, and change your portfolio during these moments, it may turn out to be the biggest financial mistake you ever make;
- If your goals haven’t changed, don’t change your portfolio
- We will always be here for you.
The stock market is like someone playing with a yo-yo while riding on the up escalator – you need to focus on the escalator not the yo-yo.
THE VALUE OF INVESTMENTS AND THE INCOME FROM THEM MAY GO DOWN. YOU MAY NOT GET BACK THE ORIGINAL AMOUNT INVESTED.